Exclusive Recipe From Chef John Van House
Wild Rice Pilaf with Bacon
- Diced onion 1 cup
- Diced Celery .5 cup
- Diced Carrot .5 cup
- Chopped garlic 1 Tbsp
- Chicken stock 1 qt
- Bacon 1 #
- Salt and pepper as needed
- Chopped parsley 1 Tbsp
- Wild Rice 1 cup
Great side dish for all kinds of meat and vegetables. Chef’s suggestion: Grilled NY strip steak and charred asparagus.
- In a large saucepan cook the wild rice and chicken stock (covered) over medium heat until rice begins to bloom. This could take up to an hour.
- Cool rice and set aside for later.
- Place diced bacon into a large sauté pan and cook until crisp.
- Remove bacon from bacon grease and set aside. Reserve the bacon fat for the next step.
- Sauté onions, celery and carrots until tender in the bacon grease over high heat.
- Add garlic and sauté for one minute or until the garlic “blooms” and becomes fragrant.
- Add rice to the sauteed vegetables and parsley then stir.
- Adjust seasonings as needed
- Remove from heat and enjoy!